AN ACCUSED lodged in Amritsar Central Jail was allegedly beaten to death by another inmate following a row over sleeping space. The incident happened while the Yoga Day function was under way in another part of the jail Tuesday morning.
The Amritsar Central Jail is overcrowded and houses more than 3,200 inmates against its capacity of 1,600.
Swaran Singh of Patti in Tarn Taran village was arrested recently under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act and sent to jail on May 13. He was in judicial remand.
- A prison where inmates are allowed to live with family, step outside to work
- A day in the life of suspected ‘foreigners’ in Assam: ‘He said mai, I said baba, we both just cried’
- Maharashtra: Prison department to extend pay phone facility to death row inmates
- This is Barrack 12 of Arthur Road Jail, where India wants to keep Vijay Mallya
- Held for allegedly killing armyman’s wife: Major alleges beaten up on way to Tihar
- 20 Pakistani inmates in state mentally unsound
Swaran was sharing room with a robbery case convict Kiran Kumar of Amritsar. More than 100 inmates are lodged in that room.
Swaran and Kiran, both in their early 20s, are learnt to have exchanged heated words and also turned violent over sleeping space Monday night. Jail officials intervened and shifted them to separate rooms
However, around 7 am next day, Kiran allegedly attacked Swaarn when other inmates had stepped out of their rooms for morning tea.
Jail Superintendent Paramjit Singh Sandhu said, “It was around 7 am and I was attending the Yoga Day function in the other part of the jail. I rushed to the spot as soon as I come to know about the fight.”
He said, “The scuffle lasted a in Amritsar jail, inmate booked short while. Both were similar in physique. Kiran took Swaran by surprise. He had hit him from behind and then pinned him on the ground, and kicked him in his stomach and private parts. Swaran died on the spot. The postmortem report is yet to come.”
A case of murder has been registered against Kiran with the Cantonment Police Station. Kiran is also facing trial in three other robbery cases.