Jammu and Kashmir Police have arrested a sub-inspector on charges of raping a woman while she was in police custody in the border town of Khour. A woman SPO has also been taken into custody for alleged abetment of the crime. An FIR was lodged against Mohammad Iqbal and Mamta Kumari on Wednesday night.
The woman was in police custody in connection with a complaint lodged by her father. Sources said the missing complaint was filed on October 28 after the school teacher allegedly eloped with a driver. The couple surrendered on October 31. Sources said the couple claimed they had married.
- Howrah: Professor arrested for ‘attempting to rape’ student
- Goa: Woman raped by taxi driver, accused held
- Rape complainant threatened: Panchayat Bhawan employee accuses manager of harassment in Chandigarh
- Uttar Pradesh: Woman alleges rape by Shiv Sena activist
- Married or abducted? Supreme Court will speak to woman today
- Hamirpur: Sub-inspector held for raping, blackmailing widow
The woman refused to return to her parents and the man’s family did not accept her. So she was kept in police custody. She was at Khour police station, when SHO Iqbal allegedly raped her.
He allegedly lodged an abduction case against the man in a bid to pressure her, sources said.