A trooper of the Tripura State Rifles (TSR) gunned down his girlfriend and later shot himself with his service rifle, police said here on Tuesday.
Mrinal Das, 32, stormed into the rented house of nursing student Tanushree Karmakar, 25, late on Monday night at Durjoynagar near here and shot the woman dead, police spokesman Uttam Kumar Bhowmik told IANS.
- CBI to probe killings of two journalists in Tripura: CM Biplab Deb
- CPM member killed in Tripura
- Tripura: Offices of political parties among 78 illegal structures to be demolished
- Tripura to form panel for hike in employees’ salaries
- Two more Tripura Rifles men held in journalist murder case
- SIT seizes Tripura journalist Sudip’s phone from commandant’s residence
“Later, Das shot himself dead on the spot,” Bhowmik said.
The official said that Mrinal, a rifleman of the Ninth Battalion of the TSR, was in relationship with Tanushree for the past few years.
“Recently, the girl started avoiding Mrinal after she learnt that he is married,” the spokesperson said.
The Tripura State Rifles is an elite force of Tripura and trained in line with central paramilitary force to engage in counter-insurgency operations.