Former chairman of Bihar School Examination Board (BSEB) Lalkeshwar Prasad, who is alleged to be the ‘chief conspirator’ of the toppers scam in the state, and his former MLA wife, Usha Sinha, were arrested Monday from Varanasi.
The couple had been on the run for over two weeks after their names surfaced in the case. The SIT says that Lalkeshwar Prasad allegedly ensured desired results for selected colleges for a price, and had recently issued a certificate for holding fair exams to a college whose principal is an accused in the scam.
“Bihar’s SIT along with Crime Branch of UP police arrested Lalkeshwar and Usha when they were changing their hotel,” said Varanasi SP Aakash Kulhari.
- Bihar Board result 2018: Why BSEB hit headlines in past two years?
- Bihar toppers scam: SIT files 4,000-page chargesheet against 32
- Ruby Rai flunks retest, Bihar Class XII Arts topper taken into custody
- SIT arrests Bihar’s topper scam mastermind from UP
- Bihar topper scam: SIT recovers pistol, live rounds from Baccha Rai’s office
- Bihar toppers scandal: Two more arrested
A local resident, Prabhat Jaiswal (40), was also arrested for providing shelter to the couple.
Additional SP, Crime, Tribhuvan Singh told The Indian Express that the couple had known Jaiswal for a long time.
“Bihar Police would take them to Bihar after obtaining transit remand from the court,” said Singh, adding that Jaiswal was involved in liquor business.
Lalkeshwar had resigned after he was issued a showcause notice by the Bihar government over his decision to set up a judicial commission to probe the scam. Usha was removed as principal of a Patna college for allegedly assisting her husband in the racket.