- India vs England 3rd Test Day 4 Live Cricket Score Streaming, Ind vs Eng Live Score: India need four wickets to win
- Kerala floods LIVE: All affected tracks restored, says Indian Railway; normal rail traffic to begin from today
- Asian Games 2018 Day 3 Highlights: India add five medals to tally with one gold
The wife of a labourer killed in an alleged fake encounter in Tirupati has now moved the court challenging the SIT’s closure report that cited lack of evidence in the case. In 2015, 20 labourers hired by suspected red sanders smugglers were shot dead in Seshachalam forest in Chittoor district, near Tirupati.
Muniyammal, wife of A Sasi Kumar, who was killed in the encounter, appeared before the Tirupati court Monday to challenge the closure report and seek a copy of it. The court has now adjourned the matter till July 11. In her complaint, Muniyammal had alleged that her husband and others were daily wage labourers who were out to find work when policemen took them away and shot them dead.
- Uttar Pradesh | Copycat encounters: 21 deaths, 20 similar FIRs, same sequence of events
- Andhra encounter: In final report, SIT says complaint false
- Cellphone records of 4 of 20 killed blow holes in Andhra police version of massacre
- Tirupati encounter: Cops told to hand over documents to SIT
- Tirupati Encounter: Lone witness to appear before NHRC
- Andhra Pradesh Police kill 20 working for ‘forest smugglers’, 7 shot in the face
The SIT, which was constituted on April 20 last year and looked into her complaint, has claimed that it is “false and non-cognizable”. “SIT had found that there was no truth in her complaint. So we filed a final report in the court… A charge sheet cannot be filed,’’ Additional SP N Chandra Sekhar said about the closure report filed before a Tirupati magistrate court in May.
Meanwhile, K Kranthi Chaitanya of the Civil Liberties Committee (APCLC), who had approached the HC seeking a CBI probe in the matter, said the SIT should have submitted its final report to the high court.
“Their job was to probe and submit the status report before the judiciary, they had no business to file a closure report claiming lack of evidence. Let the court decide on whether there is an evidence or not,” he said.
Chaitanya added that Andhra HC had said that the SIT would be filing periodical status reports on the probe and also promised a close monitoring of the probe by the HC. “The HC had denied the demand for a CBI probe. But neither there were status reports, nor the court had monitored the probe. After completing a false probe ignoring all crucial evidences, now SIT is claiming that there is no evidence,” he said.
Talking to The Indian Express Monday, SIT Officer Sekhar said they (the SIT) had done a fair probe. “The closure report was submitted because there was no evidence to prosecute anyone. We have gone through all the evidence, including the phone records of victims and the officers who took part in the encounter,” he said.