October 16, 2016 8:52:40 pm
Two teams of Uttarakhand Police and State Disaster Response Team have reached the densely forested area around Triyuginarayan where a number of human skeletal remains were found. According to the office of Superintendent of Police (Rudraprayag), the teams are investigating the case on the
orders of the state government and they include SDRF specialists along with top police officials.
Watch What Else Is Making News
Inspector General (Garhwal) Sanjay Gunjiyal is heading the teams of which SP Prahlad Narayan Meena is also a part. The teams are expected to return tomorrow, an official said. They have been ordered to cremate the remains after collecting DNA and other relevant information. Following the flash floods of 2013 that ravaged Kedarnath, several skeletal remains were spotted in the forests of Kedarghati. The remains are beleived to be of the pilgrims who perished in the disaster.
The Kedarnath-Triyuginarayan trek had resumed in December last year and pilgrims trekking on this route had informed authorities about the whereabouts of the skeletons. BJP State President Ajay Bhatt lashed out at Chief Minister Harish Rawat on the issue, saying even three years after the tragedy, the government has failed to find out about the human remains.
He claimed that while Rawat is attending music festivals with singer Kailash Kher in Kedarnath, skeletons are being found nearby areas. He said he would highlight the alleged “insensitivity” of the government on the issue.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.