In stark contrast to the action of two MBBS students in throwing a dog from a terrace days ago, a young woman on Thursday, allegedly set herself ablaze upset over her husband abandoning her pet cannine and its newborn puppy in a desolate area, police said.
Shanthi suffered about 85 per cent burns and is battling for life at a local hospital here in Namakkal District, they said.
Deeply attached to her pet dog, she could not bear the trauma of being separated from it.
- Odisha woman dies of burns, kin allege dowry killing
- Woman sets herself on fire; family blames ‘evil spirit’
- WATCH: Women come together to help teacher stuck under fallen tree
- Brave pet dog fights rattle snake to save Arizona woman, wins love online
- Woman abandons newborn in Muzaffarnagar street
- Gurugram man flings puppy from balcony for damaging laptop, DTH cables
The incident bringing to fore Shanthi’s passion for dog came close on the heels of the medical students being arrested for throwing a dog from the terrace of a building with the video of the act going viral, triggering condemnation from animal lovers and welfare activists.
“A dog lovingly reared by the woman was taken away and it was left in a desolate place by her husband,” Paramathivellur Police Inspector Kumar said.
He said she self-immolated as she could not bear the trauma of getting separated from her pet animal.
“The husband considered it as a nuisance when the dog gave birth to a puppy and he abandoned the mother and its new born in a desolate area,” the police official said.
The woman is a mother of two children, he said, adding “no case has so far been registered we are inquiring.”