BJP’s Rajya Sabha MP Subramanian Swamy on Wednesday made his debut speech in the Parliament on Wednesday with a direct attack on Congress leaders on the AgustaWestland scam.
Here are some of his key quotes in the House today:
* AgustaWestland has got nothing to do with vendetta, we are at an early stage of prosecution.
* Objective of purchase was VVIPs will be able to fly at greater heights.
* People who lowered height was not NDA. It is a lie to say that NDA Govt was one which changed specification of height. But objective was that VVIPs should be able to fly to remote areas such as Siachen/north-east and therefore ought to fly at heights above 6000 metres & should be out range of shoulder rockets.
* They (UPA) didn’t use AW101 aircraft (which was bought) for field trials but used some other helicopter, which is fraud in its itself
* Original proposal was to buy eight helicopters. After it became clear that Agusta was the only one to qualify, they decided to buy four more.
* Air Force in January 2006 gave their benchmark estimate for this deal as 793 crore. This was approved by the then Defense Minister AK Antony.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines