Srinagar: Curfew remains in force in some areas

A police official in south Kashmir said, curfew continued in Anantnag town and was imposed in Pampore town to maintain law and order.

By: PTI | Srinagar | Published: August 24, 2016 12:20:09 pm
kashmir, kashmir valley, kashmir unrest, kashmir violence, kashmir protests, kashmir issue, kashmir situation, border security force, bsf, kashmir security, kashmir forces, kashmir security forces, kashmir india, india news Srinagar: BSF jawans stand guard during curfew in Srinagar on Monday. The BSF has been deployed on law and order duty after 12 years as the unrest enters 45th day in Kashmir Valley. (Source: PTI)

Curfew remained in force in some areas of Srinagar and two towns of south Kashmir on August 24, while restrictions on the assembly of people in rest of the Valley continued for the 47th consecutive day in the wake of violence following killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani.

Curfew is in force in five police station areas of downtown city and Batamaloo and Maisuma areas in the uptown, a police official said.

He said in south Kashmir, curfew continued in Anantnag town and was imposed in Pampore town today to maintain law and order.

On August 23, the authorities lifted curfew from most areas of Srinagar, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, in view of the improving situation.

The lifting of the curbs allowed movement of people in the city as there was increased traffic of private cars and auto-rickshaws in and around Lal Chowk city centre yesterday.

However, the official said, restrictions on the assembly of four or more people under Section 144 of the CrPC will continue in the rest of the Valley to maintain law and order.

Meanwhile, normal life remained paralysed for the 47th consecutive day due to curfew, restrictions and separatist sponsored strike.

Shops, private offices, educational institutions and petrol pumps remained closed while public transport continued to be off roads.

The attendance in government offices and banks was also affected, the official said.

Mobile Internet also continued to remain suspended in the entire Valley, where the outgoing facility on prepaid mobiles remained barred.

The separatist camp, which is spearheading the agitation in the Valley over the civilian killings during the protests against Wani’s killing, has asked people to hold an assessment drive in all villages and localities today to prepare a list of the needy.

As many as 65 persons, including two cops, have been killed and several thousands injured in the clashes that began on July 9, a day after Wani was killed in an encounter with security forces in Kokernag area of south Kashmir’s Anantnag district.

The separatist camp, headed by Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik, has extended the agitation till August 25.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App