GIVING A fresh twist to the Sheena Bora murder case, IPS officer and then Raigad SP RD Shinde, whose alleged professional misconduct is being probed by the Maharashtra government, has denied all charges levelled against him. Shinde — who sent a detailed explanation of the ‘default report’ prepared against him by the former Director General of Police, Maharashtra, Sanjeev Dayal, to the state government last week, has claimed that he was not informed of the case in May 2012 when the remains of what later turned out to be Sheena Bora’s body was first spotted by locals in a riverine in Raigad. Shinde is now Additional Commissioner of Police (Central Region), Mumbai.
Last year, the Mumbai Police had stumbled upon the murder case with the arrest of Shyam Rai, Indrani’s former driver. Soon after, the pit, where Sheena’s body was burnt and buried in Pen taluka, was dug up. The Kalina FSL later confirmed that the remains were that of Sheena Bora.
- Sheena Bora murder case: Witness cop reveals he was told to locate kin of Indrani, Peter Mukherjea
- Sheena Bora murder case gets another twist, here’s everything that happened today
- Sheena Bora murder: Maharashtra seeks fresh report on Raigad police role
- Sheena Bora murder case: Judicial Custody of Indrani Mukerjea, 2 other accused extended
- Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea to be produced in Mumbai court
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea, Sanjeev Khanna blame each other for the crime
After a ‘default report’ was prepared against him by the former DGP, the state home department sought Shinde’s reply on the allegations. Sources in the state home department told The Indian Express that Shinde’s file — comprising both Dayal’s report and his explanation — will soon be submitted to the ACS Home. The ACS Home will study his response and decide the future course of action against him, said an official.
In his three-page report dated September 29, 2015, Dayal had concluded that an ‘action’ against Shinde is warranted. “I recommend that the conduct of RD Shinde, the SP, needs to be taken note of and action is warranted against him for not getting a cognisable case registered though warranted by the facts and circumstances,” he had said.
The CBI, which is also probing if there was any professional misconduct or deliberate attempt by the police officers to shield the accused by not registering an FIR, has recorded the statements of all the stakeholders. While the statement of Police Inspector Suresh Mirghe and the junior rung makes a mention in the original chargesheet filed by the agency in November last year, the present chargesheet does not dwell upon the Raigad episode.
The inquiry has found that Mirghe had made a call from the spot to a mobile phone, which was then being used by the then SP Raigad (though registered in the name of some other person) around 4.30pm. The call lasted 80 seconds. The call was made in presence of other officers and the information that a skeleton was recovered were conveyed to the SP. Mirghe, in his statement, claimed that as per Shinde’s instructions he had not filed an FIR and had filed a station diary instead. He had then sent the body to JJ Hospital for chemical analysis and DNA test. However, Mirghe claimed that till June 30, 2014, when he was transferred out of Pen, he had not received any report from the JJ Hospital.
Interestingly, head constable Ajinkya Gosavi and Prakash Kokare, who were part of the team that reached the spot, have given an almost similar account of the incident. They, however, claimed that Mirghe was against registering a murder case from the very beginning.
“The Raigad botch-up will be dealt in detail in the supplementary chargesheet. If we find any officer guilty of either misconduct, burking or conniving with the accused, action will be taken,” a senior CBI offcer said.