A local court on Tuesday granted bail to BJP MLA Ganesh Joshi accused of attacking police horse Shaktiman during a protest march here recently which caused a national outrage.
District and Sessions judge Ramdutt Paliwal granted bail to Joshi on furnishing two bail bonds of Rs 25,000 each, his lawyer R S Raghav said.
Aaj sachaii ki jeet huyi hai,nyay mila hai-BJP MLA Ganesh Joshi after getting bail in police horse attack case pic.twitter.com/Y62uli9QIu
— ANI (@ANI_news) March 22, 2016
Joshi’s release on bail paves the way for him to vote in the state Assembly on March 28 when Harish Rawat government which has been asked by the Governor to go for a floor test.
The legislator has also been asked by the court to cooperate with the police in the ongoing investigations into the case.
- Case against Mussoorie Ganesh Joshi in Shaktiman case withdrawn
- Kids would peep in, ask how’s Shaktiman… now he’s gone
- Shaktiman, police horse injured at BJP rally in Dehradun, dead
- Shaktiman learns to walk again — with shoe, prosthetic leg from US
- Uttarakhand BJP MLA Ganesh Joshi’s bail petition rejected
- Assault on Shaktiman: BJP MLA Ganesh Joshi arrested
Joshi was sent to 14 days’ judicial custody in the case on March 18. His bail petition had been rejected just a day later by the court of Judicial Magistrate Akram Ali.
Non bailable offences which Joshi was charged with include stopping government officials from discharging their duties.