Clicking a selfie turned out to be fatal for a youth as well as six of his friends, who drowned in the Ganga on Wednesday while trying to save one another, police said.
The incident happened when six youths from Juhi area and one Shivam from Colonelganj area of the district had gone to take a bath in the river after rainfall, SSP Shalabh Mathur said.
Shivam was clicking a selfie while bathing following which he lost his balance and started drowning in the river.
- Swimming amid rapid current, four students drown in Yamuna
- Two dead, nearly 1,900 shifted to safer places as heavy rainfall batters Gujarat
- Two Punjab youth including cricketer Sumit Kalia drowns in Govind Sagar Lake in Himachal
- Mumbai boy drowns while taking selfie with friend at Marine Drive
- Surat: Two teens drown in Tapi river taking selfies
- Clicking selfie, youth slips into Ganga, 6 others jump in to save him, all drown
Maqsood tried to save Shivam but he too lost his balance due to the high water level and high current following heavy rainfall, SP (West) Sachindra Patel said.
All the other friends jumped one after another to save the others but drowned in the attempt, the SP said.
A team of divers was deployed to save the youths and their bodies were recovered after two hours, Patel said, adding, all of them were sent to Medical College Hospital where they were declared dead by the doctors.
The deceased have been identified as Sachin Gupta (21), Bholu Tiwari (20), Rohit (20), Shivam (19), Maqsood (31), Bhola (16) and Satyam (24).
The matter will be investigated, SSP Mathur said.
In a similar incident in Mumbai in January, three girls, had fallen into the Arabian Sea while clicking selfies on a rock jutting out of the sea near Bandra Fort. A local youth who had jumped to save them had drowned in the attempt.