Four militants and a soldier were killed Thursday as the Army foiled an infiltration bid in north Kashmir near the Line of Control (LoC). On Tuesday, Army had foiled a similar infiltration attempt in the neighbouring Machil sector. A militant and a soldier were killed and four soldiers sustained injuries in that incident.
A Defence spokesperson told The Indian Express that army patrols Thursday spotted a group of militants near the LoC in Tanghdar sector. In the gun battle that followed, four militants were gunned down, he said. “We killed four infiltrators and lost a soldier in the operation,’’ he said.
The spokesperson said the dead soldier has been identified as Havildar Prem Bahadur (37).
He added that the operation is still on and security personnel were checking if more infiltrators are present in the area.
- India lodges strong protest with Pakistan over killing of 3 soldiers along LoC
- Restrain terror operations: Indian Army warns Pakistan after intruders kill three soldiers along LoC
- Jammu & Kashmir: 5 militants killed in 24 hours in Valley
- J&K: Five militants killed in two separate encounters in north Kashmir
- J&K: Jawan, three militants killed in anti-infiltration operation in Kupwara
- J&K: Major among four Army men killed in LoC gunbattle
Army officials said that jawans from 55 Rashtriya Rifles initially engaged the militants. Later, the Army’s elite Para commandos were sent to the spot.
The spokesperson further said that the soldier killed in the Machil encounter was signalman Ajay Singh Choudhary. “The 24 year-old-soldier from Jhunjhunu in Rajasthan,” he said.