After a report surfaced that sensitive data related to India’s Scorpene submarines has been leaked, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar on Wednesday asked Navy Chief to analyse what has been revealed.
“This (the report) came to my knowledge at 12 midnight, it is a case of hacking. Navy Chief has been asked to analyze as to what exactly has been leaked,” Parrikar told ANI news agency.
The Defence Minister also said that the connection of data has to be identified and ascertained yet. “First step is to identify if its related to us, and anyway its not all 100% leak,” he said.
A statement issued by India Navy said: “It appears that the source of leak is from overseas and not in India.”
Earlier on Tuesday a report in Australian media revealed that sensitive information related to India’s Scorpene submarines has been leaked, with French shipbuilder DCNS, which designed the submarine, facing a leak of documents spreading over 22,000 pages. The Indian Express, however, could not verify the same. Marked ‘Restricted Scorpene India’, the DCNS documents could provide an intelligence landmine if obtained by India’s neighbours – Pakistan or China.
According to The Australian, the leak, about 22,400 pages, details the entire secret combat capability of the six Scorpene-class submarines that French shipbuilder DCNS has designed for the Indian Navy. The leak includes details of the submarine’s underwater sensors, above-water sensors, combat management system, torpedo launch system and specifications, communications system and navigation systems.
First of the Scorpene class submarines being built in India – Kalvari – went for sea trials in May, 2016 and is expected to be inducted in the Indian Navy soon. Indian Navy officials have said the six submarines, once inducted, would form the core of the Navy’s submarine arm for the next two decades.
(With inputs from ANI and IANS)