Seven months after he was shot dead, Sandeep Gadoli cremated in Gurgaon village

Gadoli’s body had been lying at the JJ Hospital Morgue since his death.

Written by Sakshi Dayal | New Delhi | Published: September 3, 2016 2:35:10 am
 sandeep gadoli, gurgaon gangster, sandeep gadoli encounter, gadoli encounter,  Sandeep Gadoli fake encounter case, Gadoli fake encounter case, gadoli cremation, gadoli cremated, jj hospital, family claim gadoli body, indian express news, india news, sandeep gadoli encounter updates Gadoli was shot dead on February 7 in Mumbai. Source: Manoj Kumar

Almost seven months after he was shot dead in Mumbai’s Airport Metro Hotel, gangster Sandeep Gadoli was cremated in his native village, Gadoli Khurd, Friday afternoon.

Gadoli’s sister, Sudesh Kataria, said the family finally decided to claim his body after their 72-year-old mother, whose health is deteriorating, insisted on seeing her son. Gadoli’s body had been lying at the JJ Hospital Morgue since his death.

“My mother did not know Sandeep had died until this morning. We had told her he was injured and unconscious in Bombay so he could not see or speak to her. For the last few days, her health has been deteriorating and she has been insisting on going and seeing him, so we finally decided to tell her the truth and carry out the last rites,” said Kataria.

Gadoli, who had more than 30 cases registered against him, was shot dead on February 7 by Gurgaon police sub-inspector Pradhuman Yadav’s team in Mumbai.

While Gurgaon police claim it was an act of self-defence, the Special Investigation Team (SIT) formed by Mumbai police concluded that the encounter was fake, and an FIR has been registered against eight people regarding the matter, including five policemen from Gurgaon.

Gadoli’s family, however, alleged that a proper investigation into his death is not being conducted. “Investigations are not being conducted properly. There is political pressure from above… We want a CBI inquiry into the matter,” said Kataria.

She added, “These policemen did not go to him with handcuffs but went with guns… It has been seven months since his death and no progress has been made in the case.”

She said her brother’s cremation did not mean the fight had ended.

“We will keep pushing for a proper probe into the incident. The people who killed my brother have to be brought to book. Fair investigations need to be conducted and we are willing to fight for that,” said Kataria.

Start your day the best way
with the Express Morning Briefing

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App