The release of 634 stone-pelters is a confidence-building measure (CBM) that would give these youth a chance to start their lives afresh, a senior minister of Jammu and Kashmir government said on Thursday, referring to the amnesty granted by the state government.
“The release of 634 youth involved in cases of unrest is a welcome step towards confidence building measures,” said Choudhary Zulfikar Ali, Minister for Consumer Affairs and Public Distribution.
“This (step) would give these youth a chance to start afresh and live a normal life and it comes as a big Eid gift for them and their families,” said Ali, a senior PDP leader, while addressing a public meeting in Rajouri.
- War of words: Mehbooba Mufti hits back, says BJP disowning its own initiative as ‘soft’
- Rocky relationship between PDP and BJP comes to an end: A look at flashpoints between the two partners
- J&K: In Valley, PDP blames militants, NC says it’s a setback for peace
- J&K: Gujjars and Bakarwals raise demand for tribal policy, rehabilitation of nomadic tribes
- Tourist death in J&K: Take relook at amnesty to stone pelters, JCCI president appeals to Centre
- No coalition without hiccups, BJP-PDP will deliver on promises, says Ram Madhav
The Home Department of the state government had approved withdrawal of stone-pelting cases against 634 people following instructions by Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti for review of such cases pertaining to the period between 2008 and 2014.
The Chief Minister herself is incharge of the Home Department.
Zulfikar said the government is committed to restore peace and normalcy in the state and for this purpose various initiatives are underway.
“There is a tremendous change in the atmosphere of the state and it is marching ahead on the path of peace progress and normalcy,” he said.
He said people have reposed trust and hope in the PDP-BJP coalition government and no stone would be left unturned to strengthen this faith and promote a conducive peaceful environment in the state.
Zulfkar said the government is making concerted efforts to give impetus to the developmental activities and various mega projects are underway to provide better amenities to the people and ameliorate their socio-economic profile.