In a major reform — probably the first in the country — vice-chancellors for universities in Rajasthan will now be handpicked by a selection committee which will invite applications through newspaper advertisements.
The new arrangement will replace the existing convention — riddled with delays and allegations of political favouritism — of direct appointment of V-Cs.
Governor Kalyan Singh, who issued detailed guidelines for the new system Saturday, said the reform will bring uniformity and transparency in the appointment of V-Cs. “The new process will allow maximum number of applicants to apply for the post of V-C. The university will get a V-C in time and the selection process will be more transparent,” Singh said after issuing the guidelines.
- Governor writes to JU, authorities call executive council meet to ‘end impasse’
- Visva Bharati V-C: Govt asked President to withdraw assent after he ignored its name, RTI reveals
- PU senators ask V-C to withdraw his affidavit on reforms from High Court
- Suhas Raghunath Pednekar appointed as Mumbai University Vice-chancellor
- Congress says Rajasthan University V-C JP Singhal appointed due to proximity to RSS, questions role of Gov
- SC: Appointment of V-Cs by former Bihar Guv illegal
Under the new system, a state-run university will have to invite applications by placing advertisements in two national newspapers. The advertisements will also be uploaded on the university website.
A pro forma for applicants has also been prepared, which will provide general information about them along with their educational qualifications, specialisation, academic publications and experience in administrative positions.
The governor, who is the ex-officio Chancellor of universities, also instructed varsities to encourage female applicants to apply for the post of the V-C.
After shortlisting or finalising candidates, the selection committee will have to explain the applicant’s suitability, by way of a comparative analysis, to the Governor. The applicants will have to state the number of MPhil and PhD candidates guided by them, in their forms.
The Governor will constitute the selection committee and also stipulate the duration for selecting a new V-C.