Three people were booked on charges of attempt to murder and under provisions of the POCSO Act for allegedly raping a 13-year-old girl and then trying to set her on fire, in northern Rajasthan’s Sriganganagar, about 450 km from here.
According to the victim’s statement to the police, the girl had gone to the terrace around 11 pm on Wednesday when her neighbours Vicky, Sonu and Vijay grabbed her, drugged her and raped her. At 5 in the morning, the trio returned to her home, poured kerosene over her and set her on fire.
- Mathura: Hours after ‘raping’ minor, accused strangulated
- Gujarat: Branded as ‘witch’, woman set on fire by relatives; CM offers funds for treatment
- Uttar Pradesh: Undertrial found with 50% burns in Orai prison, inquiry ordered
- Rape Cases Registered Between January 1, 2017, & May 15, 2018: In 73 cases, accused are known to victims
- UP: Dalit girl set on fire for refusing to give youth her phone number
- UP: Minor Dalit girl set on fire after she refused to share her mobile number
With 75 per cent burns, the victim is undergoing treatment at a hospital in Bikaner.
“Yes, she has accused the three people of rape and attempt to murder. We have rounded one of them up. The other two will also soon be questioned,” Sriganganagar SP Rahul Katakey told The Indian Express.
According to her testimony, her parents were not at home, while her grandparents were fast asleep when the incident had occurred.