People in Mumbai woke up to a pleasant morning with light rain on Saturday. While many thought it to be monsoon rains, the Mumbai division of the Meteorological Department said these are just pre-monsoon showers.
The MeT said that the monsoon may take more time to reach Mumbai. However, Mumbaikars were cheered by this change in weather and took to Twitter to share their thoughts.
The Met Department on Wednesday had declared the south-west monsoon onset over Kerala, a day later than what was announced in the earlier forecast. It also predicted that it will cover the entire country by July 15.
- India weather HIGHLIGHTS: Monsoon revives; likely to reach central, northern India this week, says IMD
- Monsoon likely to arrive in Mumbai today
- Mumbai rains: IMD forecasts very heavy rain in city, asks people to stay indoors
- As Mumbaikars welcome monsoons, it’s raining jokes on Twitter
- Mumbai rains: Waterlogging in several parts of the city, trains delayed
- South coastal Gujarat receives light showers, monsoon to set in by 15th
The monsoon, which marks the beginning of the rainy season in the country, is crucial for India’s farmers, especially with several states grappling with drought-related conditions.
In a short time #MumbaiRains started trending on the micro-blogging website. Here are a few tweets:
— VijitJain (@VijitJain) June 11, 2016
— zalak bhavsar (@andzalak) June 11, 2016
time to head for kirti college vada pav & some piping hot chai.
what a respite from mugginess. #MumbaiRains
— abandraite (@abandraite) June 11, 2016
Well, gotta say that welcoming the first rains of the season while on a run in the morning is a good feeling. #MumbaiRains
— Aniket Sharma (@Anik_97) May 28, 2016
The first rains in Mumbai! May it be a bountiful monsoon friends! pic.twitter.com/J0W6Hain7D
— Rajdeep Sardesai (@sardesairajdeep) June 11, 2016
Dark skies, strong winds & thunder ! Is our much awaited Monsoon going to bless Mumbai today ? pic.twitter.com/skz9dL8gO1
— Meera Sanyal (@meerasanyal) June 11, 2016