Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi Tuesday took a dig at Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan while speaking in support of the party’s demand for the closure of Deonar dumping ground after a lightning visit to the place.
Gandhi also met residents of the suburb of Chembur, who complained about repercussions of the repeated fires breaking out at the dumping ground since January 28.
- For any disharmony until 2019, blame opposition Congress: Nirmala Sitharaman
- Rahul Gandhi calls Grand alliance a sentiment of people, keeps mum when asked who will rule it
- VIDEO: Rahul Gandhi targets PM Modi for ‘humiliating’ veteran BJP leader LK Advani
- RSS defamation case: Bhiwandi court frames charges, Rahul Gandhi pleads ‘not guilty’
- Rahul Gandhi must answer for four generations of misrule: Amit Shah in Chhattisgarh
- Let’s forget past, forge ties for future: Congress and JD(S) on Karnataka alliance
He said people were suffering due to the fires and Modi should take some action to improve the situation.
“I met the people and they are suffering because of the smoke. The PM talks about a ‘Swachh Bharat’ but there is a difference between what has been said about the Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan and done. There is no vision here. Hindustan is a symbol of progress, and dumping grounds should not be here,” said Gandhi.
Mumbai Congress president Sanjay Nirupam also demanded that dumping of garbage be stopped at Deonar immediately.
“Deonar’s life is over, yet garbage is being dumped continuously. This is an injustice to the people of the city. The scientific processing of the garbage should have already started so far. Why are the Mumbaikars suffering because of the BMC’s negligence,” asked Nirupam.
He blamed the BJP-Sena coalition in the BMC saying they wanted the dumping to continue so that the scam in scrap-dealing could go on.
Meanwhile, independent corporator Sheikh Mohammad Siraj staged a protest at the entrance to the Deonar dumping ground.
“We want closure of the dumping ground. Like other politicians, Rahul Gandhi came and met the political members. He should meet the locals who live here and understand their troubles too,” said Siraj.