PUNJAB CONGRESS president Captain Amarinder Singh Wednesday said the party would finalise candidates six months before the Assembly elections scheduled for next year, so that they have enough time to campaign in their areas.
Interestingly, senior leaders of the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) had in December last year announced that it would ensure that candidates have ample time to campaign.
Sangrur MP Bhagwant Man had said a first list of candidates would be out by Baisakhi.
- Behbal Kalan firing case: Amarinder Singh’s decision for CBI probe leaves party leaders disappointed
- Amarinder Singh: CBI to probe Kotkapura and Behbal Kalan police firing cases
- Congress does not need AAP as ally in Punjab: Amarinder Singh
- Congress needs no alliance in Punjab for 2019 Lok Sabha polls: Amarinder Singh
- Punjab: Resentment brews in Congress after Office Of Profit Law amendment
- Known Laddi for long…man with clean heart: Punjab CM Amarinder Singh
Amarinder was speaking at an event organised by Congress MLA Parminder Singh Pinki in Ferozepur as part of its ‘Drug Free Campaign’. International wrestler Khali joined him on the dais.
Amarinder reiterated that AAP was “no competition” and that the Congress’s contest was with the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) only.
“In Jaipur session the Congress had taken a decision to announce candidates well in time so as to give them enough time to campaign. Other parties, such as SAD, announce their candidates early which gives them extra time to work out their strategies,” he said.
On fielding sitting candidates, he said winnability would be the only criterion and that the “prospects of each candidate will be assessed before nomination.”
Khali administered oath to the youth that they would stay away from drugs and ensure that their relatives and friends will also avoid drugs.
Addressing the gathering, he said the energy of the youth should be channelised.