Lt Governor Kiran Bedi has banned the use of siren in cars of VIPs in Puducherry and got the backing of Chief Minister V Narayanasamy who said it was aimed at making the union territory “prosperous”.
Last night, a press release issued by Bedi’s Secretary Theva Needhi Das said the ban will also be applicable to escort and pilot vehicles of the Lt Governor. However, emergency services like ambulances and fire service vehicles would be exempted from the restriction on the use of sirens.
Narayanasamy, who took oath as chief minister on Monday, said the goal of the Lt Governor as well as his is a prosperous Puducherry.
- Centre, Lt Governor creating hurdles: Puducherry CM
- Puducherry’s first woman DGP Sundari Nanda assumes charge
- Kiran Bedi, Puducherry CM Narayanasamy pull temple chariot
- Kiran Bedi hits back at CM V Narayanasamy; says she is on a mission and not a job to quit
- Kiran Bedi putting obstacles in implementing vital schemes, says CM V Narayanasamy
- Puducherry Chief Minister Narayanasamy says Lt Governor Kiran Bedi ‘blocking all files’
Asked whether Bedi was projecting herself as a ‘super CM’, he said, “The goal of the LG is a prosperous Puducherry, our aim is also the same. There is no clash of status, we don’t have any vested interest. We want public service to be done. I have told the media that I will not use government vehicle. Its my personal wish and it is for my cabinet colleagues to decide on that basis.”
The Lt Governor had also directed that no special privileges would be accorded for cars of VIPs such as stopping of traffic, so that people’s right to freedom of movement is not hindered in any manner. She further directed traffic police to ensure that sufficient number of personnel are present for regulating traffic without halting it or inconveniencing commuters.