With the mystery over identity of two out six terrorists who attacked Pathankot airbase and their missing guns remaining unsolved, a team of senior officers under NIA DG Sharad Kumar will be travelling to the city Wednesday for fresh inspection of the attack site.
The agency is also planning to use special technology to scan two feet under the ground to inspect the site where charred remains of two suspected terrorists were found. The idea, said sources, is to find out if any evidence, including a missing pistol, got buried under ground after the structure in which the two suspected terrorists were holed up was brought down.
NIA investigators have so far found four intact bodies of terrorists, four AK-47 guns and three pistols. The NSG had informed the agency that after four terrorists were shot dead, it continued to receive pistol fire from airmen’s billet. This structure was almost incinerated by the NSG to eliminate the terrorists. However, despite meticulous scanning of the place, which included literally filtering the debris through sieve, the NIA could not find any trace of the pistol that NSG claims was used to fire upon its men.
“Debris in several gunny-bags has been meticulously inspected. Each and every small metal piece has been looked into. Smallest of the evidence collected. But there is no trace of the pistol,” said an NIA investigator.
He added that the possibility of the pistol melting was unlikely as a metal cot inside the airmen’s billet was intact. Sources said the probe into the identity of the two men and the missing pistol may be a long drawn one dependent solely on scientific investigations. “There is a possibility that it finally throws up no conclusion. But we have to keep trying,” said an investigator.