scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Ordering police probe into Essar tapes, Govt to Delhi High Court

Bench reserves order; ASG says Home directing Delhi Police chief to start probe

Written by Aneesha Mathur | New Delhi | Updated: July 12, 2016 12:43:21 pm
essar 759 On June 24, the Delhi High Court directed Uppal to submit in “sealed cover” the alleged tapping of phone conversations to the Ministry of Home Affairs.

The government informed the Delhi High Court Monday that Delhi Police was being asked to initiate an inquiry into the alleged tapping of phone conversations of corporate chiefs, cabinet ministers and bureaucrats by the Essar Group between 2001 and 2006, first reported by The Indian Express.

Additional Solicitor General Sanjay Jain told the bench of Chief Justice G Rohini and Justice Sangita Dhingra Sehgal that a complaint had been received at the office of the Prime Minister and a decision had been taken by the Ministry of Home Affairs to direct the Delhi Police Commissioner to conduct a preliminary inquiry into the allegations raised by Supreme Court lawyer Suren Uppal.

Watch | Essar Phone Tapping: Centre To Order Police Probe

The Additional Solicitor General made this submission in response to a High Court query on the steps taken by the government in the matter. The bench reserved its order on the PIL by Uppal who had approached the High Court last month, seeking a court-monitored SIT probe into the allegations.

In his PIL, Uppal claimed that he was “in possession of approximately 20 crucial CDs that contain very vital conversations and also incriminating hand-written logbooks and other relevant documents that substantiate the unlawful and illegal happenings which are allegedly related to the illegal and unlawful tapping, interception and recording of phone calls”.

Uppal’s plea had also named a top Essar official and Albasit Khan, a former Essar employee, as respondents in the matter. According to Uppal’s complaint to the Prime Minister, Khan allegedly handled the tapping of VVIPs for five years.

On June 24, the Delhi High Court directed Uppal to submit in “sealed cover” the alleged tapping of phone conversations to the Ministry of Home Affairs.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App.

0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by indianexpress.com.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement