A 36-year-old jobless man, who set himself on fire inside a police station in Rourkela after being refused permission to meet the inspector, died of burn injuries at a government hospital Tuesday.
Pravakar Nayak was admitted to the Ispat General Hospital in Rourkela with 80 per cent burn injuries after he poured petrol and set himself on fire inside Udit Nagar police station. Nayak was on bail after spending about 15 days in jail following his arrest over misbehaviour with a woman in his locality.
- Uttar Pradesh: Undertrial found with 50% burns in Orai prison, inquiry ordered
- Delhi: Man dies of burns, video shows he set himself on fire
- Punjab: Man sets five of family on fire in their sleep, infant boy, mother die
- In Kerala’s Thrissur, woman set on fire by husband in public, succumbs to burns
- Ludhiana: Cylinder blast leaves 2 dead, over 30 hurt
- In Odisha, newly-married man, grandmother killed as gift-pack explodes
Sources said Nayak had gone to the police station to meet inspector S N Muduli to lodge a counter case against the woman. Nayak had allegedly lent Rs 1 lakh to the woman and she was not repaying the money.
Nayak’s family alleged that he died out of frustration when he could not meet the inspector. They demanded that the woman should be booked for murder.