Nitish Kumar’s stand on cash scrap upsets RLD, JDS

Nitish’s JD(U) had recently finalised an alliance with RLD for next year’s UP elections.

Written by Anand Mishra | New Delhi | Published: November 30, 2016 3:02:11 am
demonetisation, cash scrap, cash crunch, nitish kumar, rld, jds, jan aakrosh diwas, ajit singh, uttar pradesh elections, narendra modi, currency demonetisation, indian express news, india news, bihar politics Bihar CM Nitish Kumar. PTI Photo

BIHAR CHIEF Minister Nitish Kumar’s refusal to participate in the Opposition’s ‘Jan Aakrosh Diwas’ on Monday, it appears, has not gone down well with Ajit Singh’s Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) and former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda’s JD(S).

Nitish’s JD(U) had recently finalised an alliance with RLD for next year’s UP elections. The JD(S) was, not long ago, toying with the possibility of a merger with JD(U) and other constituents of the former Janata Parivar to form an anti-BJP front.

Watch What Else Is making News

Ajit Singh is learnt to have spoken with a few senior leaders from the erstwhile Janata Parivar parties and voiced his discomfiture over the Bihar CM’s decision to publicly support Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s decision to withdraw Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes from circulation.

Singh had held a joint rally with Nitish and Sharad Yadav of the JD(U) at Baghpat, in western UP, once an RLD bastion, on October 4 to officially declare their alliance for the UP polls. Sources said there was a plan of Nitish and Deve Gowda sharing the dais with Singh again at a rally on farmers’ issues in New Delhi on December 5, followed by an event to mark the birth anniversary of Singh’s father, former Prime Minister Chaudhary Charan Singh, in UP on December 23.

Ajit Singh is learnt to have spoken with Deve Gowda today to invite him for both events. The two leaders are likely to meet in Delhi on Wednesday — both the upcoming events and the demonetisation issues are likely to be on agenda.

JD(S) chief spokesperson Danish Ali said: “We do not support the stand taken by Nitish Kumar-ji, but everyone has his own views. Every one in the country is against black money, but it has to be noted that various reports make it clear that only 6 to 7 per cent of black money is in cash. The government has not targeted the other 93 per cent; the whole country has been paralysed for the plan to get this 6 to 7 per cent of black money.”

Ajit Singh was not available for a comment.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App