The Central Railway (CR) has decided to alert train commuters about unmanned railway crossings through text messages in all the five divisions across its jurisdiction.
CR, which has nearly 325 unmanned railway crossings in its five divisions, namely Mumbai, Pune, Bhusawal, Solapur and Nagpur, would utilise short messaging service (SMS) in order to issue safety warnings as part of the ongoing drive of Indian Railways.
“CR’s jurisdiction of the Mumbai division extends up to Igatpuri, Roha and Lonavala and there are a significant number of unmanned crossings in the Diva-Panvel and Roha region,” a senior CR official said.
- Central Railway conducts trial for eight-coach toy train between Matheran and Neral
- In five months, Indian Railways removes all unmanned crossings on major routes
- 17 dead in mishaps on Mumbai rail division of Western Railways, Central Railways: Cops
- 18 unmanned rly crossings to be closed down in Pune division
- From today,7-day campaign to increase safety at unmanned crossings
- Counselling,awareness helped reduce accidents
“Not just in our jurisdiction, we want to sensitize people about crossing the unmanned railway crossings with utmost care and this is why we have launched the drive of sending one crore text messages,” the official added.
Along with English and Hindi languages, the text messages would also be sent in Marathi language, since many of the unmanned crossings are in rural areas.
The text message reads “Pledge to be alert, be responsible and be safe at level crossing.”
For the safety of railway passengers and those using roads, it is necessary for vehicles on the road to always stop before a railway crossing, watch out for approaching train from either side, and then cross the railway crossing safely, the official said, adding that railways has in the past installed banners and made announcements on loudspeaker to alert the commuters.