The Congress Party on Wednesday welcomed the Delhi High Court’s decision to set aside a trial court order of summoning documents from the Finance Ministry and other agencies in connection with the National Herald case.
Speaking to reporters, senior Congress leader Salman Khurshid said that this was something they expected.
“This is something that we thought will happen. It was only a matter of time that all the celebrations that the BJP and Mr. Swamy were doing, I hope will now come to an end,” Khurshid said.
- National Herald case: Setback for Sonia and Rahul Gandhi, Delhi HC dismisses their tax pleas
- Subramanian Swamy’s application in National Herald case dismissed by Delhi court
- Will file fresh application in Herald case, says Swami
- National Herald case: Delhi High Court sets aside trial court order
- National Herald Case: Will present list of witnesses on July 16, says Subramanian Swamy
- National Herald case: HC notice to Subramanian Swamy on plea against trial court order
“It takes time for the courts to act and finally they have acted and I think it is a wonderful thing,” he added.
In a huge relief to the Congress, the High Court had on Tuesday, set aside a trial court order summoning documents from Ministries of Finance and Corporate Affairs and balance sheet of the party for 2010-11 in the National Herald case.
The trial court had earlier this year summoned various documents from the Finance Ministry and other agencies, including the Congress Party’s balance sheet for the year 2010-11.
The High Court had earlier on April 18 reserved its order on the pleas of Congress leaders challenging summoning of documents from different ministries in connection with this case filed by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Subramanian Swamy.
A Delhi Court had on March 11 given its nod to Swamy’s plea, seeking the balance sheets of the Indian National Congress (INC) and Associated Journals Pvt Limited (AJL) for the purpose of investigation in this case.
Swamy had on March 1 approached a Delhi Court seeking summoning of certain documents related to the financial details of Congress, AJL and Young Indian Pvt. Ltd.
In an application moved before Metropolitan Magistrate Lovleen, Swamy sought to summon the balance sheet, receipts, income and expenditure statements for assessment years 2010- 11, 2011-12 and 2012-13 of the INC, AJL and Young Indian Pvt. Ltd.
Besides the Congress president and her son, Motilal Vora, Oscar Fernandes, Suman Dubey and Sam Pitroda are the other accused in this case.
Swamy had accused Sonia, Rahul and others of conspiring to cheat and misappropriate funds by just paying Rs. 50 lakh by which YI obtained the right to recover Rs. 90.25 crore which the AJL had owed to the Congress.