PM Narendra Modi on Friday inaugurated NITI Aayog’s Transforming India Lecture series and spoke about the importance of the institution to the development of the nation. The lecture series is aimed at having open discussions on adopting new technology, ideas and policies. Tharman Shanmugaratnam, Deputy Prime Minister of Singapore was invited as the first speaker of the lecture series.
Stressing on the need to bring changes through transformation of governance, Modi said it cannot happen with an administrative system of the 19th century. With his entire Cabinet in attendance, Modi said the change has to be for both external and internal reasons.
NITI’s functions, he said, include mainstreaming external ideas into government policies through collaboration with national and international experts.
Here are the top quotes from PM Modi’s address:
* No country can afford any longer to develop in isolation. Every country has to benchmark its activities to global standards, or else fall behind: PM Modi
* The younger generation in our own country is thinking and aspiring so differently, that government can no longer afford to remain rooted in the past: PM Modi
* If India is to meet the challenge of change, mere incremental progress is not enough. A metamorphosis is needed: PM Modi
* My vision for India is rapid transformation, not gradual evolution: PM Modi
* The transformation of India cannot happen without a transformation of governance. A transformation of governance cannot happen without a transformation in mindset: PM Modi
* We have to change laws, eliminate unnecessary procedures, speed up processes and adopt technology. We cannot march through the twenty first century with the administrative systems of the nineteenth century: PM Modi
(With inputs from PTI)
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines