The list of security personnel martyred in a terror strike at an Army base in Nagrota, near Jammu was released by the Army late Tuesday evening. Among the seven dead, two of them were officers. Three terrorists were also killed in Nagrota, the biggest terror strike since the September 18 Uri attack.
Under the cover of darkness, according to one eyewitness account, terrorists, dressed in J&K Police fatigue, stormed the XVI Corps headquarters around 5 am. They scaled the wall surrounding the 166 Medium Regiment premises and hurled grenades before firing indiscriminately at the sentry post. The terrorists entered the residential quarters meant for majors, but a hostage situation was averted by troops.
WATCH VIDEO: Nagrota terrorist attack: Combing operations resume
Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar briefed Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the attack. “Statistics have shown that the attack is on military installations. Civilians are not being targeted. No civilian has been targeted as they seek local support. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been briefed on it,” Parrikar told news agency ANI. Three AK-47s, 457 Ak bullets, 12 grenades and 20 magazines were among the items recovered by the Army.
List of martyrs
1. Major Gosavi Kunal Mannadir, aged 33 years hailed from Village Pandharpur, Distt Solapur, Maharashtra. He is survived by his wife, Smt Uma K Gosavi.
2. Major Akshay Girish Kumar, aged 31 years , hails from Koramangala, Bengaluru, Karnataka. He is survived by his wife Smt Sangeeta Ravinderan.
Both next of kin informed and are in Nagrota station only.
3. Havildar Sukhraj Singh, aged 32 years, hailed fromVillage Maan Nagar, PO Batala, District Gurdaspur, Punjab. He is survived by his wife Smt Harmeet Kaur.
4. Lance Naik Kadam Sambhaji Yeshwantro aged 32 yrs, hailed from Village Janapuri, Post Office Wadepuri, Tehsil Loha, District Nanded, Maharashtra. He is survived by his wife, Smt Sheetal.
5. Grenadier Raghvendra Singh, aged 28 years, is survived by his wife, Smt Anjana Sikaewal. The martyr hailed from Village Gadijatar, Tehsil Raja Khera, District Dholpur, Rajasthan.
6. Rifleman Asim Rai, aged 32 years, hailed from village Ratanchha, PO Khotang, Nepal. He is survived by his wife, Smt Madhu Kala Rai.
7. Naik Chittranjan Debbarma, aged 37 years, hailed from village Garingpara, Bada Maidan Bazaar, Tehsil Ramchandraghat, Kalampur, West Tripura district, Tripura. He is survived by his wife Namita Debbarma and two young children aged 11 years and 7 years. The next of kin has been officially informed.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines