scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Another infant branded with hot iron in Nabarangpur, condition stable

"The parents took the infant to the quack after his abdomen swelled. Though he was critical on Thursday, now the infant is stable. The boy is now breastfeeding," said Dr Satpathy.

Written by Debabrata Mohanty | Bhubaneswar |
January 29, 2016 9:58:22 pm

Nabarangpur, Nabarangpur district, Village quack, treatment by village quack, treatment by Nabarangpur village quack, Bhubaneshwar news, odisha news, knife attack, septicaemia, child deaths, children deaths in Nabarangpur,

In the third such incident of Nabarangpur in last two months, a 7-day-old infant boy has been branded with a hot knife on his chest and tummy by a village quack for ‘curing’ his stomach ailment.

The child, son of Mukunda and Kusuma Bhatra from Dabiriguda village under Dabugan block of Nabarangpur district was admitted to district headquarters hospital on Thursday night after his condition became critical.

Paediatrician of the hospital, Dharani Ranjan Satpathy told The Indian Express that a village quack allegedly branded the child with a hot iron knife on the abdomen on January 26. “The parents took the infant to the quack after his abdomen swelled. Though he was critical on Thursday, now the infant is stable. The boy is now breastfeeding,” said Dr Satpathy.

However, the quack is yet to be arrested as the child’s parents have not revealed his name. “These practices are quite common in Nabarangpur. It is now only being reported in newspapers and TV channels,” he said. Referring to the incident, former Nabarangpur Congress MP Pradip Majhi tweeted: “When health infrastructure under Naveen Patnaik has completely collapsed in Nabrangpur people have to take refuge in dogmas.”

Early this week, a 15-day-old tribal girl had died due to the infections from hot bangle branding after her parents took her to a quack to cure the abdominal ailments. Tribal parents Bindu Kolar and his wife Boda Kalar from Goram village from Jharigaron block of Nabarangpur had scalded their infant girl on January 16 after she stopped sucking her mother’s milk and kept on crying due to stomach pain. She died of septicaemia.

Last month a 27-day-old baby Solomon Khara of Nabarangpur too landed in the Nabarangpur district headquarter hospital after he was scalded on his tummy with a hot iron nail by a quack. Khara’s mother Renuka Kirsani, an anganwadi worker, had taken her boy to the quack as he could not suckle his mother’s milk. The infant however survived.

In a separate case in neighbouring Malkangiri district, a 12-year-boy on Thursday died after being allegedly treated by a quack. Bhima Kutiya, a class V student of Kartanpalli school under Mathili block in Malkangiri district, fell sick last month. But instead of going to hospital, his parents took him to a quack at Saradaput village. But his condition deteriorated. He died at the Mathili CHC, where he was admitted for treatment.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App.

  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by indianexpress.com.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement