Mumbai: I feel lucky to be still alive, says assaulted policeman

Mumbai: I feel lucky to be still alive, says assaulted policeman

Police Sub-Inspector (PSI) Sandip Govind Mane was reportedly assaulted by four persons with iron rods and swords.

policeman mumbai, policeman assaulted, policeman assault, mumbai assault, mumbai news
Photo for representational purpose.

TWO days after being assaulted by four persons with iron rods and swords, Police Sub-Inspector (PSI) Sandip Govind Mane says it is sheer luck that he didn’t end up getting killed. Mane was on patrol in Antop Hill area in Wadala East late Sunday night when he received a complaint of disturbance in Bharatiya Kamala Nagar. With two beat marshalls in tow, PSI Mane went to the locality to help, where he was reportedly assaulted by four persons with iron rods and swords. The attackers were allegedly intimidating a shop owner before he intervened.

Watch what else is making news:

Mane received injuries to his head and right palm and his attackers were on the run. Wadala police Monday arrested three persons in connection with the incident and are currently looking for the fourth attacker.

“There were two brothers who were attacking the shop owner. When we intervened they started fighting with me. One of them came from behind and hit me on the head with a rod,” Mane told The Indian Express. According to the officer, the lane where the incident happened was very narrow and as the incident happened at around 3.15 am, it was very dark too.

“One of the accused attacked me with a sword, but I tried to block the weapon with my right hand and got injured,” the officer said, adding, “Had the sword hit my head, I wouldn’t be talking to you right
now. They would have killed me.” According to him, the persons involved in the assault were shouting ‘don’t leave him’. Mane sustained injuries in his head and right palm and received stitches and further treatment at Sion hospital. The two beat marshalls were also injured in the assault.


“The incident created a ruckus and other policemen called the Wadala TT police station. By then the attackers had escaped. Had the lane not been that narrow and had I gone there alone, I would probably be dead,” Mane said. According to him, he was bleeding so profusely from his hand that he wasn’t able to dial a number on his phone.

The accused, Faiyaz Wasim Ahmed Sheikh (25), his brother Mohammad Sadiq (20) and their mother Habibunisa (48) were picked up on Monday. A third brother, Faisal Wasim Ahmed Sheikh (20), allegedly involved in the incident, is on the run and the Wadala police are looking for him.

“We have charged the arrested persons with attempt to murder and other relevant Sections of the Indian Penal code, read with relevant Sections of the Arms Act,” said police inspector Sunil Kishor Kadam, investigating officer in the case at Wadala TT station. According to the officer, the three brothers have prior criminal record of assault as well. Those arrested have been sent to judicial custody Tuesday by Bhoiwada court in Mumbai.

The city has witnessed a rise in number of assaults on policemen in 2016. In August, head constable Vilas Shinde was assaulted by two persons at a petrol station in Khar while discharging his duty and
succumbed to his injuries nine days later. He too had suffered head trauma. In September, three policemen were assaulted within 48 hours while discharging their duties. Mumbai Police recorded as many as 201 attacks on policemen in the first four months of the year itself.

Sushil Prabhu Kamble, senior police inspector at Wadala TT station condemned the assault on the policeman. “It is a sad incident. The officer had gone to the locality to help. People get angry a lot these days and their thinking has changed. If anything happens, they feel aggrieved and attack the police,” he said.

He also called for better safety measures on part of the police themselves when dealing with miscreants. “A policeman must have complete information about the situation and go to the spot with full gear and force,” he said.

N Ambika, Deputy Commissioner of Police, zone IV, Mumbai too regretted the incident. “It should not have happened. But we have made immediate arrests and strict action will be taken against the accused,” she said.