A mob on Friday attacked Rajya Sabha member Tarun Vijay and and vandalised his car after he came out of a temple with Dalit leaders in Chakrata, 180 km from here.
The mob reportedly attacked the BJP MP and the Dalit leaders for visiting the temple where entrance of persons belonging to backward castes is prohibited.
“Vijay and a few Dalit leaders visited Silgur Devta temple. The mob pelted them with stones when they stepped out,” Sub -Inspector Lalit Kumar said.
- Dalit man beaten to death in Gujarat: Opposition ups attack on BJP, plans protests
- SC/ST stamps on police aspirants’ chest: Rahul Gandhi attacks BJP over ‘casteist mentality’, Mayawati questions PM Modi’s silence
- BSP chief Mayawati warns officers lodging ‘false cases’ against Dalits
- Third BJP MP from UP writes to PM Modi, says ‘even after four years, nothing done by your govt to actively benefit Dalits’
- Attack on BJP MP in Uttarakhand: Maya for security of Dalit leaders, asks Rawat to act against ‘casteist attackers’
- Harish Rawat visits injured BJP MP, assures stringent action against guilty
The police team present there rescued the MP and the Dalit leaders, who sustained minor injuries, Kumar said. He added that Vijay was taken to a hospital and his condition is stated to stable.
CM Harish Rawat has ordered Garhwal Commissioner to look into the incident. “Strict action will be taken against those found responsible,” Rawat said. pti