An aide of a BJP MLA was on Tuesday arrested by Chatra police in connection with the murder of a local TV journalist on May 12. The police, however, said that there was no involvement of the MLA. Two persons were arrested in the case on Monday.
“So far, three persons have been arrested. Three others, one of whom was involved in shooting, are absconding. We are conducting raids to arrest the remaining accused. The murder was carried out at the instance of Mukesh Ganjhu, a TPC member active in the area. Two of his accomplices were also involved in the murder. It was regarding levy being demanded from the deceased for the contract work.” said Anjani Kumar Jha, Superintendent of Police.
Those arrested have been identified as Suraj Sao, Birbal and Jhaman. Suraj is a close aide of MLA Ganesh Ganjhu, representing Simaria Assembly constituency in Chatra district.
- West Bengal: BJP leader hacked to death, two arrested
- Bitcoin extortion case: Gujarat CID arrests three constables
- Jharkhand rape-murder: 14, including prime accused, arrested
- Jharkhand journo murder: Companion of accused arrested for offering bribe to police
- Jharkhand: Two held for the murder of Chatra TV journalist; 2 others absconding
- The other ultra-leftist,taking on the Maoist
“The role of Suraj was in planning the murder at the behest of Mukesh Ganjhu. We are interrogating him further to unravel the entire sequence of events. There is no involvement of the MLA,” said Jha.
Journalist Akhilesh Pratap, a native of Barachatti in Gaya district of Bihar, was shot on the night of May 12 when he was returning home. Pratap also used to take up contractual work for rural electrification.