The one-man inquiry committee tasked to probe how certain papers pertaining to Ishrat Jahan encounter case went missing has been asked to complete its probe at the earliest. Following an uproar in Parliament, Additional Secretary in Home Ministry B K Prasad was asked to probe the matter on March 14. Prasad was tasked with probing how the papers went missing and who were responsible.
Union Home Secretary Rajiv Mehrishi is learned to have told Prasad to fasten the inquiry and submit a report at the earliest as the government could face questions in the upcoming Parliament session, which begins Monday, sources said.
- Ishrat Jahan encounter case: Have sought Gujarat govt’s nod to prosecute Vanzara, Amin, says CBI
- Ishrat Jahan missing papers: ‘Mere ko ye poochna hai ki aapne ye paper dekha? Aapko kehna hai ki maine ye paper nahi dekha…seedhi si baat hai’
- Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case: On missing papers, some officers set to be examined again
- Missing files in Ishrat case: MHA officials to depose before probe panel
- Home official probing Ishrat Jahan’s files gets two month extension
- Ishrat Jehan encounter: No progress in probe into missing papers
Prasad, a Tamil Nadu cadre IAS officer, is due to retire on May 31 and the government wants the probe to be completed before he superannuates.
Replying to a motion on change in Home Ministry’s affidavit in the case, filed in Gujarat High Court on September 29, 2009, Home Minister Rajnath Singh informed Lok Sabha last month that documents related to the preparation of the second affidavit are missing and an internal inquiry had been ordered.