scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Thursday, August 06, 2020

Delhi hit-and-run case: Juvenile had crashed Mercedes in Feb, his father arrested

Deputy Commissioner of Police (North) Madhur Verma confirmed that the juvenile’s father had been booked for abetment and culpable homicide not amounting to murder.

Written by Alok Singh | Delhi | Updated: April 9, 2016 10:22:11 am
delhi hit and run, mercedes hit and run, delhi accident, delhi accident video, delhi mercedes hit and run video, mercedes hit and run video, delhi news A few of them in the car were the minor’s classmates, said the sources, adding that they all ran away, leaving the car after the accident.

The Delhi Police Friday arrested the father of a juvenile, who had mowed down a 35-year-old while driving a Mercedes-Benz at high speed Monday night. According to police, the father was arrested on charges of abetment after police found that the juvenile was involved in a serious accident in February, and that a “dangerous driving” notice had been issued to the father on March 3.

Deputy Commissioner of Police (North) Madhur Verma confirmed that the juvenile’s father had been booked for abetment and culpable homicide not amounting to murder.

WATCH | Delhi: Man killed by speeding Mercedes in Civil Lines


“During investigation, we found that this was not the first offence of rash and negligent driving by this juvenile. In the past, too, he has been found driving in a rash and negligent way. Once, he was even involved in a road accident with another vehicle. In view of the above, the death of Siddharth Sharma is a case of culpable homicide not amounting to murder and hence Section 304 IPC has been added in place of section 304 A IPC,” Verma said.

Sharma, who lived near the accident site, was mowed down while crossing the road Monday night. The car was travelling at over 100 kmph, police said.

Police apprehended the juvenile and impounded the car Wednesday.

Police sources said the silver Mercedes-Benz, which is registered to a company and is owned by the juvenile’s father, has been found to be in violation of traffic rules on at least four occasions in the past. “The same car was issued a police notice for dangerous driving on March 3 in the same area. Earlier, the same car was booked twice for over-speeding in central Delhi’s Darya Ganj and once for improper parking in south Delhi’s Vasant Vihar,” a senior police officer said. He added that the fine for dangerous driving was unpaid as of Friday.

According to an officer, on February 16, police had stopped the juvenile for over-speeding and hitting another car and a food cart in Civil Lines. “At that time, a call was made to the police control room, but the juvenile was allowed to go after a warning. Police had even warned his father after that incident,” another officer said.

DCP Verma confirmed that the boy was given the car on several occasions by his father. An official statement from the Delhi Police said, “On examination of the CCTV footage, the possibility of knowledge to the accused juvenile offender that his extremely fast driving in a residential area can cause a death cannot be ruled out.”

“There has not been a single step taken by the father of the accused in prohibiting him from taking the vehicle. This is an act of criminal omission, thereby abetting the crime of the said juvenile,” it added.

On Friday, friends and family of the victim met police commissioner Alok Kumar Verma and demanded strict action against the juvenile and his family.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App.

0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by indianexpress.com.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement