BJP asked the Mehbooba Mufti government to revise the “soft policy” towards separatists as it was affecting business and tourism in Kashmir, on Wednesday. The party demanded that security given to separatists be withdrawn and they be put behind bars.
The party also demanded that concrete steps be taken to prevent the youths from being lured by terrorist groups. State BJP spokesman Virender Gupta said that despite their anti-India activities, the separatists were enjoying special privileges, including security cover provided by the state government.
“The government should revise its policy towards the separatists. The government should withdraw the security given to separatists and put them behind bars under the Public Safety Act (PSA) for indulging in anti-social and
anti-national activities,” he said.
- Mehbooba Mufti protests sedition charges on AMU students, calls Manan Wani ‘victim of relentless violence’ in Valley
- Mufti to Modi: React positively to Imran’s gesture of friendship
- Showing the door: Gaps that could not be bridged between BJP-PDP
- Jammu-Kashmir: BJP ends its alliance with PDP, cites national interest, security slide
- Jammu-Kashmir breakup: Facing ‘biggest challenge’, PDP ready for a fresh start
- Jammu-Kashmir: BJP pulls out of Mehbooba Mufti government, says alliance with PDP untenable
Expressing concern over frequent protests, violence and hoisting of Pakistani and ISIS flags in Kashmir Valley, he said, “All these incidents are taking place at the instigation of separatists.” “Recently, a separatist leader, along with his supporters, slapped a policeman who was discharging his duty in Srinagar,” he claimed.
Gupta said “soft policy” towards separatists has on one hand encouraged anti-India forces and anti-social elements and on the other, demoralised security forces and the masses. “Soft policy towards separatists is demoralising security forces who are fighting to curb militancy and sacrificing their lives. These separatists are continuously disturbing the peace by holding the Valley to ransom thereby affecting business and tourism industry,” he said.
Cautioning that the situation might worsen if steps are not take, Gupta asked the PDP-BJP coalition government to take strong action against separatists. The BJP spokesman asked the government to take concrete steps so that the youth of the Valley are not lured by the separatists and terrorist groups.