Police team led by Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP) Mukul Dwivedi had gone to conduct recce at Jawahar Bagh following an intelligence input that licenced and illegal fire arms, explosive material and also cartridges used by police were stored by group that had encroached the land inside, the Uttar Pradesh government has said in the report it sent to the Union Home Ministry. There was also input that these people had detained few persons inside forcibly, the report on clashes in Mathura, which left 29 people including two policemen dead, said.
The government report dispatched on Monday stated that on June 2, when the police team consisting of PAC and para-military force was busy in recce, rioters started pelting stones and opened fire on them. Efforts were made to convince the encroachers through loudspeaker. A group of detained persons, who tried to ran away, were thrashed by troublemakers, the report stated.
It further stated that hearing about the matter, District Magistrate and SSP rushed to the spot and warned the mob but they continued attacking the policemen. The rioters torched makeshift huts erected inside Jawahar Bagh and took position behind the huts engulfed in flames. The flames caused explosion in LPG cylinders causing death of some of them, stated the report.
The report stated that firing by the rioters left 45 policemen injured while 56 of the squatter too suffered injuries. Men, women and minor children were rescued from Jawahar Bagh. Appropriate action has been taken under relevant sections and 330 of the rioters have been arrested so far, the report added further.
Police used tear gas, plastic pellets, rubber bullets and also fired in air following which the rioters escaped from the main gate, the report said.
Meanwhile, angry over death of police officials and seriously injured policemen, locals too attacked the rioters who were trying to escape from the main gate or by scaling the boundary wall. Seriously injured Station Officer of Farah police station, Santosh Kumar and ASP Mukul Dwivedi died while 22 of the rioters too were killed in the clash, stated the report.
Referring about the outfit —- Azad Bharat Vidhik Vaicharik Kranti Satyagrah also known as Swadheen Bharat Subhash Sena —- the report stated that its leader Ram Vrikash Yadav started the movement from Madhya Pradesh’s Sagar district on January 11, 2014 and reached Mathura on March 15, 2015. The outfit got settled illegally at Jawahar Bagh, the report said.
They outfit illegally erected hutments and grabbed office and residential complex of district horticulture department by beating up and harassing employees of the department, the report stated.
The state government informed in its report that a petition related to the issue was filed in Allahabad High Court, which issued direction on May 20, 2015 to vacate Jawahar Bagh. A contempt petition was also filed later as the compliance of the court order could not be done which is still pending. A petition was also filed by the illegal occupants which court on May 26, 2016 dismissed with imposing a fine of Rs 50,000 on petitioner.
- Mathura violence: SP Mukul Dwivedi’s family says policemen left him alone, UP govt orders probe
- Mathura protests: UP government releases clips, shows local officers were in loop
- Mathura violence: MLA says had informed govenment of situation building up
- Mathura violence: SC refuses to order CBI probe, asks petitioner to approach Allahabad HC
- Mathura violence: First heads roll as Akhilesh govt shunts out DM, SSP
- Mathura violence: ‘A fearless police officer, he was best dealing with crowds’