The Mathura district administration has begun the process of locating parents of 58 children who got separated from their families following the clash at Jawahar Bagh on June 2.
The children are lodged in state-run homes in Mathura and Faizabad, and police suspect their parents may be either dead or could have fled fearing arrest during the clash between policemen and the Swadheen Bharat Subhash Sena, in which 29 people were killed. So far, no family has turned up to claim any child.
Police are yet to identify bodies of 13 persons which were badly burnt.
Ninety-seven women and 126 children had been found living on Jawahar Bagh, a government-owned land encroached upon for over two years by nearly 3,000 people, during the June 2 operation.
Probation Officer, Mathura, Om Prakash Yadav said that on the basis of information from these children, they are writing letters to the probation officer of various districts, who have been asked to verify the addresses and inform families to take their custody.
So far, police have determined that two of the children are from Madhya Pradesh, while others are from different districts of Uttar Pradesh, such as Kannauj, Kanpur Dehat, Shahjahanpur and Lakhimpur Kheri.
“Children will be handed over to their families after full verification,” said probation officer Om Prakash.
“Twenty girls in the age group of 10 to 17 years have been sent to Nari Niketan (Rajkiya Mahila Sharanalaya) in Mathura while 33 children aged below 10 years were sent to care homes in Mathura (10) and Faizabad (23),” he added.
As per the jail manual, women inmates can keep their children till the age of six years with them.