A 16-year-old girl was killed by her brother because she was allegedly in a relationship with a man from another community, in a village in Baghpat district on Monday. The youth later surrendered before the police.
According to the Doghat police, the minor was allegedly in a relationship with a Hindu man from another village, who would come to her neighbourhood to visit some relatives. After her family found out about the alleged affair, the two eloped.
However, she was brought back on the assurance that she would be married to him. Her family even announced the wedding in a panchayat held at the man’s village.
- Jawan booked for minor’s ‘rape’, Bareilly village tense
- Faridabad: Woman, two others arrested for murdering her husband and father-in-law
- Delhi domestic help murder: ‘Kin had no phone, she couldn’t contact them’
- Haryana man kills pregnant sister who married against family’s wishes
- Sonepat honour killing: All I feel is pain, says victim’s grandfather
- Police exhumes body of Pak-Italian woman over suspected ‘honor killing’
However, after she came back home, her brother allegedly killed her while the rest of the family was sleeping, said the police.
“The body has been sent for post-mortem and the victim’s brother has been arrested,” said Lokesh Kumar, the station-in-charge of the Doghat police station.