A 23-year-old man has been arrested on charges of smuggling arms and 27 semi-automatic pistols have been seized from him, Delhi Police said Saturday.
“The accused, identified as Salamuddin, was arrested by a special team,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police (Special Cell) P Kushwah. Salamuddin had earlier been arrested in 2014 for allegedly smuggling illegal arms and the Special Cell had seized several country-made weapons from him.
- Chinks in cyber armour
- Kolkata: Nigerian woman held at airport for ‘smuggling drugs in private parts’
- Manipur: Notorious drug lord who ran international cartel arrested
- Man held for supplying arms in UP, Delhi
- Top arms supplier, who sold weapons to Maoists, arrested from Burari: Police
- Inter-state arms racket busted by Delhi Police, 2 held
The DCP added, “Investigation into the use of sophisticated firearms in robberies, extortion cases and other crimes over the past few years had revealed that in most cases, illegal weapons manufactured in Khargone, Barwani and Dhar districts of Madhya Pradesh were being smuggled into Delhi and the National Capital Region.”
A team of the Special Cell had visited various cities to collect information about local arms manufacturers, suppliers and their clients. The team’s investigation eventually led to the arrest of Salamuddin, said the officer.
“He was going to deliver nine pistols to a person in Dwarka, while the remaining 18 pistols were to be delivered to someone in Uttar Pradesh through his associate Mushtaq, who was based in Chhata in Mathura district,” said Kushwah.