The fourth accused in the alleged gangrape of a 25-year-old woman on May 29 at Salt Lake’s Sector V in a moving vehicle was arrested on Wednesday.
Investigators were able to track the location where the accused, identified as Subrata Dutta or ‘Bappa’, was hiding through mobile tower updates, said the police.
The other three accused — Suvendu Nag (25), Saurav Dey (20) and Arnab Bera (24) — had been arrested on June 1 from Haroa in North-24 Parganas district a day after the alleged gangrape took place.
- RJD leaders booked for forcing minor gang rape victim to narrate her ordeal: Bihar Police
- Extortion accused threatened to get man infected with HIV, three arrested
- Mumbai: 27-year-old arrested for ‘kidnapping’ toddler
- Five held for ‘posing as Anti-Corruption Bureau officials’
- Shahdara kidnapping case: Delhi Police file chargesheet
- Kerala theatre molestation case: Mother, 60-year-old man booked under POCSO Act; police rapped for negligence
They were identified after the police examined CCTV footage of the crime, which has been preserved as an evidence, police said.
They had confirmed Dutta’s involvement in the incident.
The vehicle, a Tata Sumo car, in which the woman was reportedly raped, had been seized from nearby Kestopur. Previously, medical tests conducted on the girl has also confirmed gangrape.
The victim, who worked at a restaurant in Barrackpore, reportedly hails from Nepal. According to the complaint lodged with the police, she had left home in an Uber cab around 11 pm on Sunday to visit a coffee shop in Salt Lake.
She apparently mistook the location and got off near College More at Sector V, where she had met the four accused, said the police. They allegedly assaulted her and then took turns to rape her in the moving vehicle, police said. She was later dumped on the roadside in an unconscious state.