Lt Governor Kiran Bedi led participants at a mass yoga demonstration in Puducherry on the occasion of International Yoga Day on Tuesday.
She joined around 6,000 school and college students, officials and NCC volunteers and performed as many as 40 different asanas lasting nearly 90 minutes from 6.30 AM on the Beach Road in Puducherry.
Chief Minister V.Narayanasamy and his ministerial colleagues, who were scheduled to participate in the yoga day celebration, were conspicuous by their absence as they had flown to Yanam to participate in government functions there.
They are later scheduled to visit Delhi from Yanam to meet the Prime Minister and others in the national capital, an official said.
- Pondy Lit Fest 2018 kicks off on August 17: Smriti Irani, Kiran Bedi among speakers
- Puducherry CM V Narayanasamy flays LG Kiran Bedi for remarks on statehood
- International Yoga Day in Chandigarh: 4,000 take part in Plaza event, break last year’s record
- Dehradun institute all set to roll out the yoga mat for Modi today
- PM Modi to lead International Yoga Day celebrations in Dehradun
- Delhi, Puducherry Lt Govs ‘interfering’ in functioning of elected govts: Narayanasamy
Addressing the participants, Bedi said, “We are all moving towards one world. Yoga is real humanity. Yoga is coming from our Vedas. All over the world yoga is being celebrated as it unites mind, body and soul. Yoga stands for unity and harmony.”
Director General of Police of Puducherry Sunil Kumar Gautam, Secretary to Lt Governor G.Theva Needhi Das, Vice Chancellor of Pondicherry University Anisa Basheer Khan, officials of various departments and representatives of different organisations were among the participants.
The entire two km stretch of beach road was thronged by long rows of participants.
Bedi later told reporters that yoga “is the best gift India has given to nine billion people across the world. I want to thank my leader Prime Minister Narendra Modi who took this cause up in General Assembly of the United Nations (for declaring International Yoga Day)…,” she said.
By the initiative, Modi had united the humanity, she said.
The Lt Governor said she was committed to serve “…every breath of my life to realise the objective of prosperous Puducherry and prosperous India.”