Kidney racket at Hiranandani hospital: Staff, doctor involved in planning kidney transplant at Rs 21 lakh

Surat businessman placed under arrest after discharge.

Written by Tabassum Barnagarwala | Mumbai | Updated: July 21, 2016 1:06:40 am
Hiranandani hospital kidney racket, kidney racket, illegal organ trade, organ racket, dmer, live organ transplant, kidney transplant, ztcc, indian express news, india news Jaiswal was discharged from Hiranandani hospital on Wednesday morning after a round of dialysis on Tuesday.

Claiming he had been suffering from renal problems for over a year before he finally opted for kidney transplant through an agent, textile businessman Brijkishore Jaiswal, 48, on Wednesday alleged the involvement of the Dr L H Hiranandani hospital staff and a doctor in planning his transplant at a cost of Rs 21 lakh.

On Wednesday, Jaiswal was brought to JJ Hospital, along with donor Shobha Thakur, 42, for undergoing tests. A panel of four heads from JJ’s urology, surgery, nephrology and forensic medicine departments was formed to question both Jaiswal and Thakur.

Jaiswal, a native of Uttar Pradesh, has been living in Surat for 15 years. Over a year ago, he started experiencing breathlessness and vomiting. “I have visited over four hospitals for treatment. Once, I was also operated for removing excessive water from my lungs,” he said, adding, “But I would require hospitalisation once in every three to four days.”

Share This Article
Related Article

Watch Video: What’s making news

Jaiswal stopped working a year ago due to his failing kidney. Of his two sons, one is pursuing a degree in BCom and another now handles his business, according to Jaiswal.

Jaiswal said he had no potential donor in the family. “My wife remains ill and my brothers live separately. There was no one to donate,” he said.

This year, he came in touch with an agent through his wife in Surat who then floated the idea of a possible transplant in Mumbai through an unrelated donor. “My wife had approached everyone for a cure. She was told by a lady in our building about an agent,” said Jaiswal.

Jaiswal was discharged from Hiranandani hospital on Wednesday morning after a round of dialysis on Tuesday. The donor, Thakur, would remain admitted at the hospital. Both were quizzed for over three hours at JJ hospital over the procedure they followed in forging documents and the details of how they were guided in the organ transplant process.

Thakur, complaining of severe stomach ache, said, “None of my family is here with me. I am in pain.”

According to JJ hospital sources, a CT Scan conducted on Thakur showed that an incision was made in her body to retrieve the kidney, before the police intervened. It was stitched back after the operation was cancelled. The scan, however, showed that a part of her rib cage was removed and that has become a cause of the pain in her abdomen.

Meanwhile, another committee formed by Directorate of Health Services on Wednesday questioned five doctors from Hiranandani Hospital, including the two transplant surgeons and a medical social worker. According to state organ transplant incharge Gauri Rathod, the probe will continue for a few more days.

“A total of 25 people from the hospital will be questioned. We are trying to understand their protocol in approving transplants and whether there was negligence in the process,” Rathod said.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App