LDF candidate and two-time legislator P Sreeramakrishnan was elected as the Speaker of the Kerala Assembly on Friday.
Sreeramakrishnan got 92 votes in the 140-member constituency, while UDF leader and Kunnathunadu MLA VP Sajeendran bagged 46 votes.
- Communal pamphlet: Kerala HC disqualifies IUML MLA
- Kerala HC disqualifies IUML MLA K M Shaji for communal poll campaign in 2016
- Kerala: CPM’s Saji Cheriyan sworn in as Chengannur MLA
- Kerala MLA Parakkal Abdulla stirs up storm wearing mask, gloves in assembly
- V Sasi elected deputy speaker of Kerala Assembly
- Kerala Speaker election: BJP lone vote goes to CPM
CPM was to get 90 seats, except that of the speaker, but got 92 including one from BJP member and another vote from an unknown UDF member.
The House was dissolved after the election of the Speaker and will reassemble on the June 24 when the Governor P Sathasivam will make a policy declaration of the Government.
On Thursday , the 14th Kerala Legislative Assembly session convened and began with the swearing in ceremony of the members.