Follow Us:
Sunday, October 24, 2021

Kashmir: One killed in Pulwama clashes, curfew enters 41st day in Valley

Shabir Ahmad Monga, a contractual lecturer, died when he and several others were beaten up at Khrew late Wednesday night, a police official said.

By: PTI | Srinagar |
Updated: August 18, 2016 7:20:36 pm
Indian paramilitary soldiers stand guard near a road roller used as road block by protesters during earlier protests as curfew continues in Srinagar, Indian controlled Kashmir, Wednesday, Aug. 17, 2016. Curfew and protests have continued across the valley amidst outrage over the killing of a top rebel leader by Indian troops in early July, 2016. (AP Photo/Dar Yasin) The imposition of curfew and restrictions has now entered its 41st day. AP Photo

A lecturer was killed and 18 others were injured in clashes between security forces and protesters who were opposing a search operation in Khrew area of Pulwama district in Kashmir where curfew and restrictions remained in force for the 41st day. Shabir Ahmad Monga, a contractual lecturer, died when he and several others were beaten up at Khrew late last night, a police official said. He said 18 other persons, mostly youths, have been admitted to a hospital here.

According to the locals, army conducted house to house searches for the youths who were leading protests in the area late last night which was resisted by the residents of Khrew. In the ensuing clash, 30-year-old Monga died.

An army official said they were collecting details about the incident and will soon issue a statement. Curfew remained in force in entire Srinagar district, Anantnag town and Pampore police station, which includes Khrew area, while restrictions continued on the movement of the people in rest of the Valley.

Normal life has been paralysed in the Valley due to street protests since the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani in an encounter with security forces on July 8. Heavy deployment of security forces has been carried out in Srinagar city with all roads leading to the local office of United Nations Military Observers Group (UNMOG) at Sonawar sealed.



The authorities strictly imposed night curfew in the city in view of the separatists’ call for march to the UN office over a 72-hour period beginning on . Schools, colleges and private offices remained closed while public transport remained off the roads due to the strike called by the separatists. The attendance in government offices was thin.

Mobile Internet and mobile telephony services across the valley remained suspended. However, broadband services were restored early this morning after five days. Broadband services and mobile telephone services were snapped Saturday evening. As many as 64 persons including two police personnel have been killed and several thousand injured in the clashes that began on July 9.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by