A 25-year-old youth has been arrested by police in the north Karnataka town of Gangavathi for allegedly posting a morphed picture of Prime Minister Narendra Modi on his Facebook page. Mohammed Mehboob, an employee of a jewellery shop in Koppal district’s Gangavathi, has been accused of promoting enmity between different religious groups through a morphed picture that shows PM Modi bowing to touch the feet of AIMIM MLA Akbaruddin Owaisi, the brother of MP Asaduddin Owaisi.
Police said they had registered a case under Section 153 A of the IPC (promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence, language etc and doing acts prejudicial to maintenance of harmony). Mehboob had uploaded the picture as his FB profile picture on May 7, police said. BJP workers, who noticed the picture complained about it, they added.
- PM Modi, Amit Shah faces blackened in posters in Surat, 1 arrested
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi meets Youth Olympic Games medal winners
- Godhra line in book: FIR against four for ‘misleading students on beloved PM’
- Surat bakery’s plan: A cake each for over 1,221 people who share birthday with Narendra Modi
- Ad-man Ram questioned over tweets against PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar cop posts morphed picture of PM Narendra Modi with Hafiz Saeed on WhatsApp, suspended
“We have registered a case based on a complaint lodged by Manohar Gowda, the Gangavathi town president of the BJP, and have arrested the accused person,” a police official said.
Mehaboob, however, claims that he did not morph the picture but used it as he received it from friends.
According to the police, a picture where Modi is seen seeking the blessings of BJP patriarch LK Advani was morphed to create the new picture.