The Kapurthala police and Special Task Force (STF) nabbed a notorious gangster, who had around 27 cases against him, along with his five gang members after an encounter in the wee hours on Monday. Police recovered heroin worth Rs. 6.50 crores and large number of weapons from them.
The encounter took place at a T-point near Ghumanna and Fatehgarh villages in Phagwara. Police received a specific tip off that gangsters Gurpreet Singh Gopi and Sonu Balalo were moving in the area laced with large number of weapons. Following which Kapurthala police and STF sealed the entire area.
- What kept Munna Bajrangi going? Clues in a carpet shop, Purulia arms drop and a mortuary
- From Boys to Gangsters: The ones who got caught
- Five members of Bishnoi-Nehra gang still at large, police hot on their heels
- Gangster Nehra admits to 25 cases of murder, attempt to murder, dacoities: STF
- Two gangsters killed in Meerut firefight: UP STF
- Six arrested with contraband worth Rs 6.5 crore, weapons
“When police was checking up the vehicles at a T-Point near Ghumanna village, the occupants of a Quails Vehicle, which was coming from Fatehgarh village side, opened firing on the police party,” said Kapurthala SSP Rajinder Singh, adding that police managed to protect itself and also cornered the gangsters and nabbed them after cross firing.
As around 8-10 rounds were fired from each side during the encounter, said police sources adding that these gangsters were going to beat someone at village Rurka in Jalandhar on the behest of Gopi Rurka.
AIG STF, HPS Khak informed that this gang was operative in Doaba and Ludhian district and had contact with the big gangsters sitting in the jails. “They used to take contract (Supari) for injuring any persons and were involved in snatching, looting,” said Khak, adding that this gang used to make videos of their crime and circulate them on social media sites to create a fear among people.