A bus of Jujhar Transport Company ran over a man Wednesday near Kingsville resort on Ferozepur road in Ludhiana. The accident comes two days after the bus of the same company crushed two sisters to death in Jagraon, leading to massive protest against the company.
The Jujhar Transport is owned by Gurdeep Jujhar, a close aide of Badals, who also owns FastWay cable network in Punjab. Protesters alleged that due to owner’s proximity with Badals, Jujhar buses violate traffic rules.
The deceased identified as Shravan Kumar, 32, was migrant from Bihar and lived in Bhanour village. The owner of a small fruit cart, he was on foot when the speeding bus failed to apply brakes in time and crushed him to death.
- Pune: 18-year-old ‘brutally hacked to death by his cousin’ on state transport bus
- CCTV VIDEO: Scooter driver loses balance and falls in front of a bus; miraculously survives
- Moga: Orbit bus crushes 5-yr-old to death, relatives block road
- 11 months after nod from Cabinet, Punjab to notify transport policy
- Badals’ bus kills 50-year-old
- Road blocked after bus rams bike
Survived by two infants and wife, the family was initially reluctant to record statement and get an FIR registered against the driver of the bus.
Later, investigating officer ASI Hardeep Singh from Mullanpur police station visited their home and an FIR has been registered on the statement of Umesh Kumar, a cousin of the deceased.
The driver was identified as Davinder Singh, a resident of Sarhali village of Ferozepur.
ASI Hardeep Singh said, “We have impounded the bus from the spot but the family was reluctant to register FIR. We went to their place and recorded their statements. An FIR has been registered under section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder). The driver has been identified but absconding. We are yet to arrest him.”