Follow Us:
Sunday, July 22, 2018

J&K police arrest main culprit in Peerbagh murder case

Soon after the killing, J&K police had constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT) headed by a senior police officer.

Written by Mir Ehsan | Srinagar | Updated: January 20, 2016 2:17:29 am

J&K police lead

J&K police have solved the mysterious killing of a youth at Peerbagh and arrested the main culprit behind the killing. The killing had sparked protests and stone pelting in the uptown areas of the city, as relatives and locals had alleged that security forces were responsible for the death of youth.

Soon after the killing, J&K police had constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT) headed by a senior police officer.

Deputy Inspector General of Police Kashmir, Ghulam Hassan Bhat said that initially relatives and locals alleged that security forces were responsible for this killing and police had promised to solve the case on the fast track basis.

Giving details, Bhat said that on January 12, Owais Bashir Malik of Peerbagh went missing. “Next day, his dead body was recovered near Railway Bridge Humhama.”

DIG said that during investigation police came to know that from last one year, Owais Bashir Malik was in touch with Ishaan Majeed of Bandipora, presently residing at Barzullah.

“Ishaan would pose and act like a girl by the name Umaira of Wanbal Nowgam. Both would talk for hours together mostly during the night hours. Ishaan (Umaira) would also talk at times with family members of Owais.”

Bhat said that Owais would press Ishaan (Umaira) for a meeting which was usually avoided by the later.

“Last Tuesday, after lot of motivation from Owais, Ishaan (Umaira) agreed to meet him on the Railway Track at Peerbagh. During meeting Ishaan (Umaira) divulged before the deceased that it was he who was posing as a girl. This infuriated Owais and both had a heated arguments followed by scuffle. Ishaan owerpowered Owais and kicked him repeatedly, the injured Owais rolled down into the gorge. Thinking that Owais was dead, Ishaan left the spot.”

Bhat said that after leaving the spot Ishaan damaged two sim cards through which he used to talk with Owais.

“During investigation it was found that in the evening of January 12, a constable of Railway police did notice some blood stains on the soil and found a human body in the shallow waters down the track. Instead of informing the police, the Railway constable along with two other constables disposed off the body to a place away from the railway track.”

DIG said along with the main accused, three constables of the Railway Police have also been arrested.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App